Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT)
Contact Us Today
Emphasizing a Whole-Person Approach
Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine, or DOs, are trained to treat patients as whole people, believing that the best healthcare means treating the body, mind and spirit. DOs receive special training in the musculoskeletal system, so that they can diagnose and treat many common illnesses with the use of OMT, or Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment. They also receive training that focuses on prevention and taking into account how lifestyle and environment can impact disease.
What is Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment?
Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT) is a treatment method for a number of conditions. OMT is a hands-on technique that involves moving and manipulating a person’s muscles and joints to help diagnose, prevent, and treat a wide range of health conditions. Using several OMT techniques, DOs apply gentle pressure to manipulate the muscles, soft tissues and joints. The treatment encourages your body to heal itself by ensuring that your bones and muscles are aligned and balanced properly.
What does OMT treat?
Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment treats conditions that affect every system in the body, including the musculoskeletal system, digestive system, nervous system and immune system. By realigning the body and restoring balance to bones and muscles, OMT allows your entire body to work better as a whole. OMT can treat many conditions, including:
- Breathing issues like asthma and sinus infections.
- Bowel issues, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and constipation.
- Musculoskeletal problems like back and neck pain, joint pain and carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Chronic pain, including arthritis, menstrual pain and migraines.
- Problems associated with pregnancy, such as swelling (edema), insomnia and sciatica.
- Sports injuries and repetitive stress injuries.